Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Girl

My girl is starting 5th grade tomorrow. I can't believe it.

She's been growing so quickly, and still...she has always been a child. She's now going to ride the bus, she's going to be in a school with12 year olds, probably even some 13 year olds. She's going to be exposed to so many things. She's going to learn so many things. She's going to hear so many things. I hope I have prepared her. I hope she will ask me when she hears about the things I know she will hear about.

I want her to be happy. I don't want anyone to make fun of her or hurt her. But what can I do? Nothing. There is NOTHING I can do. I know we all have to deal with growing up and hurting sometimes, but HOW I wish I could just follow her around...and just zap any person who even looks at her funny. By "zap" I mean obliterate with a supersonic ray gun (that is pink), of course.

I know she's going to hear about sex and drugs and skipping school and kissing and UGH just all the bad stuff (yes, I said "bad" - you know who you are). I know she's going to have questions that she WON'T ask me no matter what. I know this.

It's nearly 1 a.m. the night before her first day, and she is sleeping so peacefully. (I took a picture of it...but I won't post it because it'd probably embarrass her. She's got her mouth open, her hand is resting on her hip and her index finger is out and it appears that she's pointing to her crotch.) Anyway, I can't sleep. I didn't feel nearly this anxious her first day of kindergarten.

I love my girl. She's absolutely wonderful. She's patient, kind and thoughtful. She's HILARIOUS. She's the best daughter in the world. I know lots of moms say that but I really mean it. I don't deserve her. Neither does her dad or her stepdad. We are just totally lucky we got her. Also, have you SEEN HER EYES? Beautiful.

Good luck tomorrow, Clara. You're growing up TOO FAST.

No comments: