Wow, I didn’t realize how much you all missed me and needed new entries in my blog to read! I can’t believe the sheer volume of emails I received wanting to know when I would be updating. I am humbled and feel thankful that I have so many followers.
What? Fine. Whatever – so it was only one little bitty person. And so what if “sheer volume” is equivalent to “one email?” So?? Do you want to know who that one person was? It was one of my BFFs, Jennifer! Yay Jennifer!
Who brings me to my first topic…Deltaberry Day! For those who do not know what DBDay is, it’s a tradition that started either nine or ten years ago (we never can remember) at No Frills Grill. Jennifer, Adrienne, Kristen and I make up the Deltaberries and we use the day to celebrate our nearly lifelong friendships. Adrienne was my first friend in this town, and we’ve been friends for what will be 20 years this coming summer. Wow! And I’ve known the other two almost that long.
You know, I could use this opportunity to write about my first meeting with my first friend. I can’t imagine that many people who read this don’t know it – but here goes. Picture this: Shannon at age 12, brand new to the tiny town. She doesn’t know anyone and it’s in the middle of summer. What’s a girl to do? Well, this particular girl decides to go for a walk and get to know her neighborhood streets.
As I walked along, I noticed a tree branch near the curb of one street. Not just any insignificant twig, but a real live branch, with twigs of its very own coming out of the ends. The best I can compare it to would be a set of antlers. Antlers? YEAH! ANTLERS! Now, before you judge my next move, I really want you to try to put yourself in the shoes of a lonely tween girl who has zero (ZERO!) friends.
I figured the only thing to do with the branch I’d just found was to stick it in my ponytail and pretend to be a deer. I walked a quarter to a half mile with my shiny new antlers, and thinking back, I can only imagine how my new neighbors must have reacted if they’d happened to looked out their windows at that moment.
Anyway, there I was, a-walkin’ along, when I looked up and saw a girl about my age, also solo. She looked at me. I looked at her. “What are you DOING?” she asked me. “Ummmm, pretending to be a reindeer,” I answered her, silently praying and hoping that she would think I was cool and quirky, instead of bizarre and odd. “Cool,” she said, “want to go to the playground?” HELL YEAH I DID!!
And the rest is history.
But back to Deltaberry Day. We always meet before Christmas (usually on the 22nd) to hang out, have snacks and exchange gifts. We once tried adding other girls in but it just did not work. There were too many. So we cut it back down to just the four of us. This year we met at Adrienne’s and ended up at No Frills (of course!) and we had a great time. I gave Deltaberry nightshirts and I received from Adrienne, Jennifer and Kristen, respectively: a runner’s fannypack with two water bottles, complete with a badass skull and crossbones appliqué; a fabulous black photo frame; and super cute knee high socks and some lip gloss. Magnificent!
So the Jenny Craig is going quite well. I’m down 14 now and Scott is down 13 (BOOYAH). Well, JC was going quite well. I didn’t mean “is” at all. This week was haaaaarrrrrrrrrd. I don’t know what the deal was, I guess a combination of it being Christmas and us having been on the program for a month now just really did it for me. I’m afraid I may gain this week. Oh well. As long as I have a net loss over the holidays, I figure I am coming ahead anyway. And, I am back on the wagon completely as of today. I also started my Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. This DVD is kicking. My. Ass. I love it! Although, I am not sure who I think I am…with these sore abs. Sore abs? LOL. Like I’m some hot workout girl. One day….
So, you know how I’ve been talking about how much my daughter is growing up and so on and so forth. Well, it’s true – but she still has a little bit of little girl left in her. James loves to have his face “painted” with my makeup. Whether it’s a doggy face, a kitty face, or an avatar arrow, he’s always asking me to do this for him. This past weekend he asked for a kitty face and as I was coloring in his tiny black nose and whiskers, Clara shyly asked if it would be okay for her to get a kitty face too. AWWWW! Of course, BellyButton. So I painted both kids up as kitties and we went outside and blew bubbles for an hour.
My son is as graceful and as humble as I am. I’ve been known to take a spill or two, go ass-over-teakettle my fair share of times, run into sharp (or dull) objects that appear out of NOWHERE, and find ways to blame it on other people or just simply environmental causes that are out of my control. Yesterday James ran full speed into a wall in our house while he was looking the other way. Without skipping half a beat, he whirled around and shouted at whoever was listening, “SEE!? *THAT* IS WHY YOU SHOULDN’T HAVE PUT A WALL THERE!”
Think of me until next time…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment