Why do I do this?
When I see people I know but don't talk to, like ever, I feel a compulsion to exchange contact information with them. Why? I HAVE NO IDEA! But I just can't stop myself.
A couple months ago, in the gym, I sat next to a guy who I MAYBE talked to 3 times during high school. I knew him and he knew me. We got to talking and told each other about our spouses and our kids, and then of course, I was talking about how great it was to see him and then I asked him if he had a myspace of facebook account. He said he had myspace, so the next time I logged on, I looked him up, requested him to add me as a friend, and I have not so much as looked at his profile since then. I will never talk to him again. It's like a sickness I have - I don't know if I'm curious about people (aka NOSY and the answer is why ee ess) or if I am trying to be friendly or what.
It's worse when I have had a beer or two. This past weekend I was at a going-away party at a local restaurant/bar and I ran into a guy that had sort of dated a friend of mine. At the time, this guy worked at our gym and had taught us how to use the machines and kind of just told us a few things we could do. Well, I really got along with the guy, he's really nice, but it didn't work out between him and my friend, he quit the gym and so I never saw him until Friday night. Of course, I ask him the yoozh. Where do you work now, that kind of thing. He asks me if I am still working out, and instead of just saying, "yeah! I hit the gym at least four times a week these days," I go into this long story about how I do, but not as much as I want, and I dont remember what exercises to do, and who can help and he was so helpful last time and maybe he can email me some suggestions, how about that, here is my email, sure, email me about WORKING OUT since we never talk or see each other or anything. He acted as happy to get my email as I acted to give it, and I KNOW he had no intentions of helping me, and he knew I knew, and I knew he knew I knew but we still went through the whole stupid rigamarole.
And, you would not BEE LEEVE the number of girls i went to school with that I run into at Target! You never heard such a mess of lies. "Oh girl, we have GOT to get together! Our kids can play at the park! We can chitchat or take walks together!" All lies! We both know it's never going to happen and we STILL whip out our cell phones and enter each other's names and numbers. What is wrong with me?
You would think I might quit this behavior after I was, well, I think I was propositioned at a bar by a husband and wife team. The wife and I were yakking (not throwing up, but like yakkety yak) away like we were besties all our lives. She bought me a shot, told me about her husband (who was sitting by her silently) from England who she met online, we discovered that we have daughters who go to the same school, and it was the same old song and dance for me. SHe was chubby like me and of course we decided that the girls should play at the park while we walk. Numbers are exchanged, yadda yadda, then a while later she mentions to me, really off-handedly, that she and her husband are swingers. It was so strange...I just ignored it and NEVER brought it up again. I pretended everything was okay but inside I was ew'ed out. Homegirl DID actually text me the next day to make sure I still wanted to go walking! Of course I do not, because you know what going on a walk with a swinging wife means, right? Neither do I but I don't want to find out. BUT. In true Shannon fashion, of course, I replied with "sure!" OMG! I am NO WORSE THAN AN A$$HOLE GUY WHO ALWAYS SAYS "SURE, I'LL CALL YA." What is my problem??
P.S. The swinging husband from England looked like Mr. Bean. Just like Mr. Freakin' Bean. **shudder**
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ok first of all I am CRACKING up once again :) I know what you mean...by saying we should totally get together for a play date...I mean we have said it to each other and.....NOTHING! hahahah but now I know how you have some many FB/myspace friends :)
Post a Comment