Wednesday, February 23, 2011

BIRTHDAY WEEK. HOORAY!

What a fabulous birthday week I’ve had so far!

Saturday Adrienne picked me up right before 10am and we headed to Massage Envy for hour long massages. Knowing myself and my nervous bladder, I knew better than to drink a lot of coffee before my massage (yes, I have had to stop in the middle of a massage, don a robe, and use the restroom down the hall. How embarrassing!)

Anyway, since I hadn’t had my coffee that morning, we ran through Starbucks (not really – we used the drivethrough) and got some much-needed caffeine. Next we headed to a nail salon where we sat in a massage chair for the next 1.5-2 hours and had our piggies done first, then our hands. We also were offered a glass of wine during our pampering treatments, which we eagerly accepted. Unfortunately, as I soon found out, each customer is limited to ONE glass of wine. What?! WHY!? This makes no sense.

Oh well. Adrienne and I decided that we would pick up a bottle of wine and head to her house, and sit on her deck and have a glass since it was SO INCREDIBLY nice out. We stopped by Albertson’s rather than 7-11 for the wine because she needed dog food anyway. We decided that we were hungry but I wouldn’t allow her to buy REAL food because I wanted us to be starving when it came time for dinner (more on that later!). So we went through the Albertson’s checkout with wine, one can of dog food, peanuts, and a box of tampons. It struck me as funny!

So we went to her house, had a glass of wine, got out our junior high yearbooks and had a fine time laughing at what babies we were and how we and all of our friends used to wear our hair back in 1990. Eventually I left, came home just in time to soak in the bath and get ready for our hibachi dinner, followed by karaoke and drinks at KG’s (my new fave place). FUN!!!

Yesterday was my *actual* birthday, though, so business was usual until about 6pm (although Scott unloaded AND loaded the dishwasher in honor of my birthday, which was definitely not usual!) Scott’s mom and sister, Cindee, showed up to babysit the kids about 6pm, at which time, I was presented with posters that the kids made me (a tradition started by my mom), cards from Scott and his mom, gifts from both kids and Scott, a gift from Cindee (a GORGEOUS candle thingy with crosses on it – sorry Cindee, what else could I possibly call it? Haha!), and notification from Dee Dee that I would be receiving a gift certificate to Kohl’s in my email inbox. The kids were steered to the jewelry section of Target and instructed by Scott to “pick out something big and ugly” because apparently that is my kind of thing. It worked, because I sure love everything they got me! Scott picked a giant “diamond” ring (seriously, the “diamond” is like an inch long and half an inch wide), Clara picked out a PERFECT bracelet, and James got a long-chained necklace with a heart-shaped pendant on it. Kind of Brighton-ish. All gorgeous! I promptly put on all three pieces of jewelry and headed to dinner at Eddie V’s with Scott.

Until last night, Eddie V’s was my 2nd favorite restaurant in all the world, closely following Lonesome Dove Bistro. After last night, the two are definitely tied for 1st. I just can’t choose between them. They’re very different, so I guess my favorite at any particular moment will depend on what kind of a mood I am in…am I feeling more casual and laid-back? Or do I feel swanky tonight?

Anyway, Scott and I had a FABULOUS time and I ate enough Weight Watchers points for an entire month. Oh well. Totally worth it. Sometimes it is…sometimes it isn’t. This was a case of IS WORTH IT for sure! Of course I couldn’t decide between the filet, the lobster, or the crab stuffed jumbo shrimp…so I ended up with a small (haha, that’s what they said anyway) filet and crab stuffed lobster. Hoo boy. I can’t say enough about that place. The service was kind of slow but we rather enjoyed it. Plenty of time between courses so that we would have room for the next. Maybe they do that on purpose, but I don’t remember them doing that the first (and only other) time we’d been there.

The best part about birthday week is that even after all of the above, it ain't over! Sunday we'll do family dinner at Mom's and Dad's. More celebration, more presents, what could be better!

No comments: